NEF Commits to Train One Million Students in STEM+

June 30, 2011
Chicago, IL

Dr. Appu Kuttan, Founder and CEO of the National Education Foundation, the national nonprofit leader in bridging the academic, digital and employment divides, made an impressive commitment today to train one million students of disadvantaged K-12 schools/school districts/charter schools in 3 years.

The students will be trained at NEF’s CyberLearning Academies in the schools in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) as well as ELA (English Language Arts), Social Studies, SAT/ACT, IT (including 60 certifications), Business and Management (including Project Management certifications).

The NEF Total Solutions program has 6 essential components – Differentiated Learning using the top-rated Web-based online courses, Teacher Training, Mentoring, Motivation, state-of-the-art Learning Management System and Tech Support.

The NEF program can advance a student one grade level in 25 hours of active participation

Any school/school district with 35% or more students on free/reduced cost lunch is eligible to apply. NEF will provide 80% of the funds as grants, amounting to $300 million at $300 per student. The schools/school districts or sponsoring corporations/foundations /nonprofits/governments will provide the remaining 20% or $70 per student per year.

In order to help raise the 20% for the schools, NEF has launched a national “Adopt a School” program, giving corporations/foundations/nonprofits/governments a unique opportunity to sponsor schools/school districts/charter schools of their choice.

The sponsor has two choices: it can donate the $70 per student to the school or NEF as a tax-deductible donation, or it can hire NEF to provide IT/business/management/personal development training (web-based online/blended) to its employees at a cost below market cost. In the latter case, NEF will put up the 20% or $70, while helping the sponsor to save significant training funds.

In either case, the CyberLearning Academy at the school will be named after the sponsor. Thus the sponsor gets to assist schools of interest to them, while receiving good PR and Community Service/Diversity Service/Corporate Social Responsibility credits.

The NEF partners so far include Pearson Education, RBC Capital and Johnson Controls and 4 disadvantaged school districts in Pennsylvania –Allentown, Midd-West, Shamokin and York,
According to NEF CEO Dr. Appu Kuttan, an acclaimed national and global expert in education systems, digital education and empowerment, as well as a passionate advocate of STEM+ education, “this national initiative will help to meet a critical necessity for U.S. to compete in the 21st Century global economy – a large number of disadvantaged students – girls and minorities- trained in STEM+ skills.”

To sign up as a partner, interested schools/corporations/foundations/nonprofits/governments can call NEF at 703-823-9999 or email wdiehl@nefuniversity.org.