NEF’s STEM+ Academy Grant Summary and Application
by the National Education Foundation (NEF)
national non-profit leader in K-12 STEM Education
The STEM+ Academy helps students build the skills they need to succeed in college and the highly competitive 21st-century workforce. NEF’s unique high-quality, cost-effective total solution grant program provides disadvantaged school districts an opportunity to enhance the STEM+ skills of their students. To date, NEF has provided STEM+ and Math Homework Helper grants to more than 250 school districts across the U.S.
Grant Eligibility: Any school district with 35% or more students eligible for free/reduced price lunch
Deadline: Grants are awarded on an ongoing basis, first come, first served.
Grant Type/Cost: A 90% matching grant from NEF will provide courses and Total Solution services to the school districts – a $315 value per student, per year. School districts pay the remaining 10%, amounting to $35 per student, per academy, per year, for a minimum of 1,000 students.
Funding: School districts pay the $35 fee per student academy using any district budget, local, state, or federal funds. Many school districts use Title I funds.
Performance Outcomes & Cost Comparison: On average, students advance one grade level in 25 learning hours in math or reading using NEF’s Total Solution Learning System, at a cost of only $35 per student. This can help drastically reduce the approximate $2,000 in Title I funds school districts spend per student each year on remedial learning.
Academies (16 total):
K-5 (2 Academies): Math, ELA (Reading)
6-8: (3 Academies) Math, ELA, Digital Literacy
9-12: (8 Academies) Math, ELA, Science, Social Studies, SAT/ACT, IT, Business, Management
Vocational, Career Tech, Adult Ed (3 Academies): IT, Business, Management
IT includes 60 IT certifications in Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, A+, Net+, Security+, Web Design and Internet Security
Management includes Project Management certifications such as PMP® Exam Prep
Courses: All courses are web-based. The K-8 Math and ELA Pearson SuccessMaker and 9-12 Math, ELA, Science and Social Studies Pearson NovaNET are ranked #1 by the U.S. Department of Education.
Visit www.cyberlearning.org/catalog to see a list of all 5,500 courses grouped into several course packages offered.
Standards: All courses meet state and national standards set under the No Child Left Behind Act
Total Solution Services provided by NEF
The $35 fee goes toward providing the following services:
Differentiated Learning: Customized learning for each student
Stipend/Bonus for the Academy Director
Learning Management System (LMS): Tracking of student activities, student progress
and real time reports (for school superintendent, school board etc.)
Motivational Program: Teacher stipends, student rewards (iPods, gift certificates, etc.),
parent awards, Student-Teacher-Parent Award Day
Mentoring Program: Mentoring for students
Teacher Training & Professional Development
Tech Support & 24/7 Help Line
Guarantee: We offer a money back guarantee for all IT and Business Certifications.
To apply: Please complete the application form. Click here to fill out the grant form.
For a description of the course academies, please review our course catalog at www.cyberlearning.org/catalog.
If you need further assistance while filling out the form, call us at 703-823-9999.