NEF-SUNY 100% K-8 Math & Reading Grant
Summary and Application for School Year 2019-2020
by NEF (National Education Foundation), global non-profit leader in K-12 STEM Education
and SUNY (State University of New York), the largest university in the U.S.
Grant Offer: The first 100 K-12 schools qualify for 100% subsidy of the NEF STEM program. Certified by SUNY and approved for all 50 states. All others receive an 80% subsidy.
Grant Rationale: U.S. students are ranked in the bottom 30% in STEM education globally
Goal: To provide world-class academic (mapped to every state’s standards) and applicational (STEM design contests and awards at the District, State and National levels) STEM+ education to a million K-12 students to prepare them for college and the 21st century jobs
Eligibility: Any school district/school with 35% or more students on free/reduced cost meals, girls schools, minority schools; Others pay a higher fee.
Deadline: November 30, 2019. Grants are awarded to the first 100 school districts/schools demonstrating the highest level of commitment to create successful model STEM programs, that can be replicated easily. Initially, the NEF Grant would support one K-8 class of 30 students.
Proven Results (as per SUNY evaluation)
1. At least 90% of K-8 students advance a grade level in math (same for reading) during the school year, if the students actively work on our program for 60 minutes a week for 35 weeks
2. At least 90% of participating students demonstrate increased interest in STEM academic and application skills.
3. Students of a poor K-8 school district (95% F/R and 90% Englisg Language Learners) advanced 2 grade levels in 1 year!
Your Cost: The cost per student per year for proving the world-class the STEM+ program is $2,450. With NEF providing 100% grant, your cost drops to ZERO for 2019-20. You have the option to sign up for additional years at a cost per student of $145– $580, depending on the # of modules (Academics, Hands-on Robotics, Application Contests by SUNY and STEM Career Prep, each $145), with an 80% grant from NEF.
What You Get
- Personalized learning courses mapped to your state standards (top-rated SuccessMaker for K-8 math & ELA, Digital Literacy, and Skillsoft for Career Tech IT/Business/Soft Skills/Professional Development) for Teachers and Parents.
- LMS (state-of-the art)
- Professional Development, and student/teacher/parent job skills training (in 200+ IT and Business certifications with 8,000 world-class online courses, live online mentors and 40,000 video clips)
- Tech support by SUNY and weekly evaluations (with Olympic Boards–Bronze, Silver and Gold levels)
- College Credits from the State University of New York (SUNY) for $50/credit, a 90% subsidy
Call NEF at 703-823-9999 for assistance